Valmiera Museum was established in July 1959. Since 1961, the Museum has been located at 3 Bruņinieku Street.
During the 1970-ies, the Museum acquired two more buildings at 4 Bruņinieku Street within the area of the castle ruins.
Since 1993, Valmiera old pharmacy – the oldest wooden building in Valmiera – with its 2 additional buildings at 1 Bruņinieku Street was included in the Museum complex. It was renovated with the support of local artist Rudolfs Voldemārs Vītols’ widow and Cleveland Lutheran Church.
From 1972 to 1991, Valmiera St. Simon Church served as a concert and exhibition hall of the Museum.
Since 2004 Valmiera Museum has also had a 3-storey residential house at its disposal, built in the beginning of the 20th century on the bank of the River Rātsupīte. It holds part of the Museum’s collection and a permanent exhibition.
Over time, the Museum has gathered a rich collection of cultural history testimonies obtained during the material collection process. Expeditions were organised every year from 1969 to 1999. These items are supplemented by a collection made as a result of archaeological findings. The Museum received donations – art collections from Marta Alberinga, heritage of R. V. Vītols, works by Jānis Kalmīte, etc.